This year’s winner of the ACR Champion Award is an individual who we could really only describe as a true gentleman, helpful in every way. He cares about what impact he has on the industry and people within it. His career started in 1965 as a Refrigeration Mechanic and Combat Engineer. He swiftly became an Instructor at the Royal School of Military Engineering, instructing military personnel to craft and technician level in refrigeration and air conditioning.
His outstanding contributions to industry include:
- President of the Institute of Refrigeration
- Chairman, Vice Chairman and Director of ACRIB
- Chair of BRA
- Appointed honorary member of the City & Guilds of London in recognition of significant involvement and contribution to the furtherance of his work in the Institute in technical and vocational education and training.
- Member of Managing Panel of the National Training Organisation for the HVAC&R industries
- Chair and member of the Management Committee of the ACR Interest Group for SummitSkills.
Our ACR Champion’s career has taken him all over the world, including Ghana, Spain, Syria, Turkey and Hong Kong. Most recently he has authored the F gas qualification C&G 2079 on behalf of the industry, completely free of charge. Our champion also spent a lot of time reviewing the EU specifications and regulations.
He has worked with the ACRIB Education Committee to ensure the new qualification was up in time, proportionate and relevant. He continues to ensure this is updated and remains corrected over time. He is currently working as a technical author and consultant (again volunteering) for a group of employers working with the IOR and BRA to develop the completely new Trailblazer apprenticeship scheme.
Ellis Training Consultancy was set up in 1991 and has gone from strength to strength providing training to the ACR and Building Services industries. Many of the centre’s recent successes have been demonstrated and rewarded over many years at the highly thought of ACR Trainee of the Year Awards. We at The ACR Journal are thrilled to have awarded John Ellis ACR Champion 2015.